To find a good picture for the decoration, I did an internet search for colour-ins on my theme.
This takes a bit of time, but the result is a very yummy cake!
|To melt chocolate: break into|
small pieces, and place in a bowl.
Put bowl inside a larger bowl of hot water.
Do not allow any water to get
into the chocolate.
125g dairy-free margarine
90g caster sugar
3/4 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1/2 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
100g dark cooking chocolate (check it is dairy-free)
125g dark cooking chocolate
125ml lactose-free cream
100g block white dairy-free chocolate
100g block "milk" dairy-free chocolate
(Sweet William chocolate works well.)
- Find a simple line drawing to base your chocolate decoration on.
- Place the drawing on a biscuit tray, and tape securely in place.
- Place baking paper over the drawing, and tape in place.
- Melt the "milk" chocolate, over warm water.
- Use the chocolate to draw the lines of the drawing. (I use a toothpick like a paintbrush.)
- Place the biscuit tray with the outline carefully in refrigerator. Chill until set (preferably overnight).
- Melt the white chocolate over warm water.
- Use the white chocolate to "colour in" your chocolate drawing. (Use the toothpick for small areas, and the back of a teaspoon for larger areas.)
- Place biscuit tray in refrigerator. Chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Line a 20cm round springform cake pan with baking paper, making the baking paper higher than the cake tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together and add eggs, one at a time, beating in between.
- Fold in almond meal, baking powder, sifted flour and cocoa.
- Melt 100g dark cooking chocolate, and mix into the cake batter.
- Spread mixture into cake tin, and bake for about 25 minutes (depending on your oven) until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the cake tin.
- To make ganache, place 125g dark cooking chocolate and 125ml lactose-free cream in a small saucepan. Stir gently over low heat, until chocolate melts and ingredients are combined.
- Pour ganache over cake (still in tin) and refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully remove tin and baking paper from cake.
- Carefully peel chocolate decoration from baking paper and place on cake.