That's what life with lupus is like. It's a constant battle to balance everything:
- how much I do for myself to save money vs how much I pay others to do to save energy
- how much exercise I get to keep joints moving vs how much rest I get to avoid fatigue
- how much energy I budget to work vs how much for my family vs how much for friends and partner vs how much for the things I need for myself
- needing to get things done vs needing to have a nap
- using energy driving vs the risk of having to stand on public transport
My balance constantly changes. On days and weeks when I'm well, I have more energy to budget. Sometimes I have more pain and less fatigue. Sometimes I have more fatigue and less pain. Sometimes I have brain fog and don't know what's going on anyway!
My GP constantly warns me about packing too much into my life when I'm feeling well - in case I use up the precious little reserve of energy I've built up, or commit myself to things I just won't handle when I have a bad day or week.
I know everyone has to balance their work and personal lives. Everyone has to balance their financial budget. I remember what it used to be like before I got sick - believe me it was different. Now the struggle to keep balance is so much more serious!